Friday, July 20, 2012

Thoughts and Prayers out to the Victims in Aurora

By now I'm sure you've all heard of the Colorado massacre that occurred last night at a midnight Dark Knight Rises premiere. Unfortunately, there are horrible people who do horrible things every day. I can't imagine how the friends and families of those affected by this tragedy are feeling right now.

A member of our sports journalism family was also killed in last night's massacre. Jessica Ghawi, an aspiring sports broadcaster, was shot twice last night and killed. She worked for the website 'Busted Coverage'. She was also there for the Toronto mall shooting earlier this summer and had this to say shortly after:

“I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.”

The shooting in Aurora was a national tragedy, but if we could all take a second and read Jessica's words we can take something away from this experience.  Every moment in our life is a blessing.  Make the most out of your life, and aspire to do big things.  I know this isn't really a sports post but sometimes you just need to say what has to be said.  In honor of Jessica, and the other who lost their lives last night in Aurora, Colorado, live your life to the fullest extent.  Take Jessica's words to heart.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Scott, this is a very touching piece and I hope that you are okay!

    ReplyDelete