Monday, May 4, 2020

"Pete Rose Play Hungry" A Book Review by John Marsinelli



Growing up a baseball fan my father and I would at times talk about Pete Rose and how he believes he was one of the best and that he got screwed. While reading this book I found two similarities that
stuck out to me. Pete Rose admired his dad and I feel even though me and my father have our
differences, at the end of the day he is my best friend. The second similarity was that he had an uncle
Bud as well. I really got inspired by reading about how Mr. Rose worked his butt off to accomplish all
the success he did.
He mentions that he wasn’t even the best baseball player at his high school. This just shows hard work and dedication to a craft from not the best player on your high school team to the all time hit king. I really respect how Mr. Rose played going 100% every single time. I also respect how Mr. Rose admits to the gambling scandal. I still believe he should be elected into the HOF and that players have
definitely done way worse and are still in the HOF. Some things I learned from this book that I had no
idea about was that Pete Rose was in the military, he was Morganna first athlete kiss, that he spent some
time playing for the Montreal Expos and that he was a player manager for the Reds. I also didn’t realize how Mr. Rose played so many positions. He always said that he did whatever his team thought was best to win so if that meant to switch from one position to another then it would be done. He would practice his butt off for every position he played. He was truly a lead by example kind of guy. If he is going to go 100% day after day then you would hope that would rub off on his teammates. I am happy that Mr. Rose did get to win Rookie of the Year with his dad still alive. I wish his father was alive to see him break the hit record.  I thought it was really cool that Mr. Rose played for his hometown team. It was interesting learning about how Mr. Rose followed his father around all the time in his youth. He was either the water boy or the bat boy depending on the season. It was really nice to see how Mr. Rose spoke about his father. His father taught him to always play hard and to do what he can to help his team win. This book is a prime example of how hard work and dedication can take you as far as you want it to take you.  I recommend this book to not only athletes but anyone who is driven for success.



No comments:

Post a Comment