Saturday, May 2, 2020

What now?


As I mentioned in my last post, there is no NBA, MLB, NFL, or NHL. So what is there to do for a sports lover such as myself?
Well, I am constantly seeing that both the NBA and NHL are trying to find common areas where all teams can play, which might make the games play into the late dog days of summer forcing them to make the start of next season later into the year. I for one would welcome the NHL to be playing into the late into the summer, because the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs have to be one of the most exciting playoffs out there. It seems that its the only sport in which a 7th seed team can get hot at the right time and take it all the way to a championship. For me that is the most exciting thing that the NHL provides.

The NFL is stating that they aren't going to be changing anything that they do (schedule wise). I have to say that for the first time in a  long time, I actually paid attention the NFL draft this year. It has to be one of the most entertaining drafts I have seen in a long time. Ones I've watched in the past I have fallen asleep on the couch within an hour, that's mainly due to the drawn out process of the picks, introducing and pop and circumstance that comes along with it.
This years draft moved quicker, gave us a glimpse into these soon to be pro bowl athletes world and even the commissioner seemed human and to enjoy it. The commentary was good and it had very little hiccups (well at least not to my knowledge.)

MLB is, well MLB. They haven't done much, the cheating scandal hasn't been talked about for a while, The Red Sox traded Mookie and Price, but what else is there?... Go on, I'll wait.
Exactly, nothing! I have lost so much interest in MLB that I don't have much to talk about. The players salaries are so high, their replay system isn't working too well, and their product just seems long winded and over saturated.

The NBA is trying to get back to business as usual, but are having a hard time getting teams on board and finding specific areas where they can play. They constantly toss back and forth the idea of playing in empty stadiums, but most players aren't on board with that, and honestly... who can blame them? They deserve to play in front of their fans, just as much as the other leagues. I'm not a NBA expert (nor am I an expert at any sports), but they will figure it out and continue on.

As much as I want sports to come back so I can spend my Saturday and Sunday nights with a ice cold beer and being stressed out watching my beloved Bruins, I'd much rather have a vaccine made and for this to stop taking our loved ones away.
Sports is a a healer, sports unites people. Sports allows strangers to have something in common, makes dinner with extended families more enjoyable. But now is the time to follow the restrictions, stay inside when your supposed too. Thank the Dr's, EMT's, Police and Fire associates.Thank a nursing home associate and all health care workers. Thank a dispatcher, a grocery worker, a retail worker. Thank the Dunkin Donuts worker that's there at 5am to make sure you have you medium regular coffee.

Thank you to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment